Thursday 28 December 2017

Could Beyonce Play Storm in 'Black Panther 2'?

Okay Avengers, now let's get in formation...   




The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a behemoth in the movie industry. Characters like Captain America, Iron Man and Black Widow have become house-hold names and, according to a recent poll by Fandango, Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War are the top two anticipated films of 2018.

On top of this, though, is the Disney-Fox acquisition that shook the industry trades earlier this month. While this has dire creative consequences for the film industry going forward, one silver lining to Disney's monopolization of Hollywood is the re-grouped Marvel assets now available to Marvel Studios. With Fox come the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, and with the X-Men comes Storm.


See, many people have been focused on whether Wolverine is set to join the Avengers since the news of the acquisition broke, and it's easy to see why. Logan came out earlier this year to intense critical acclaim and Hugh Jackman's portrayal of the animalistic hero over the past 20 years has become iconic unto itself. If we look at the already established Marvel Universe, though, it seems like Storm should be the first X-Men team member to be introduced into the MCU.

In the comic books, Storm (played in the X-Men trilogy by Halle Berry) is married to Black Panther, living with him in Wakanda. Even though Black Panther has not yet been released  it has garnered tremendous support from the general public and, more specifically, the black community. It would be absolutely foolish of Marvel Studios to not give Storm her own film within the Avengers universe, given the massive support the black community is showing their black properties. Not only would Marvel further the diversity of their primarily white, male universe by focusing on Storm, but they have an already established, eager fan-base who will have by then proven their allegiance to the Black Panther brand through its inevitably successful box-office. To put it simply, it seems like the natural conclusion to introduce Storm as T'Challa's love interest in Black Panther 2.

This is where Beyoncé comes in. The worldwide super-star has allegedly been in talks with Marvel Studios for quite some time, with Disney studio heads rumoured to be interested in offering her a role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These headlines initially broke in 2015, and at the time many speculated that the role Knowles-Carter may have been up for was that of 'Medusa' in the now cancelled Inhumans movie, due to Queen Bey's iconic hair. 

The Inhumans film was since downgraded to a television series on the American television network ABC, and rumours of a Beyoncé-Disney partnership steadily grew fainter and fainter. Interestingly enough, in the same year that these rumours broke Beyoncé attended a costume party dressed as Storm. While the Disney-Fox acquisition was merely a dream at that stage, it could have been a public wink at the headline's regarding the star's alleged conversations with Marvel Studios. 



At the time, many were unsure on the idea of Beyoncé acting in their favourite franchise, given her sub-par reception in Austin Powers and Obsessed early in her career. Since then, though, she released her film and visual album Lemonade in which her performance won a coveted Peabody Award, Emmy nominations and over 100 other accolades. While early days, the singer's performance within the film seemingly redeemed Beyoncé's acting ability not only to members of the public, but studio heads too.

After the release of Lemonade, speculation began to swirl around the star's possible involvement in another Disney project - The Lion King. According to rumour, Disney wished to remake their Oscar winning animation in the vein of 2016's The Jungle Book with Beyoncé being director Jon Favreau's top pick for Nala. While the star never publicly acknowledged the rumours, she attended the premiere for 2016's Beauty and the Beast with her daughter Blue Ivy earlier this year, seemingly confirming a relationship between her and the House of Mouse.


Beyoncé publicly announced her involvement with The Lion King soon after. She had been cast as Nala and had been given the task of curating the remake's soundtrack, solidifying the singer's relationship with Disney. Now, though, Disney has the rights to the X-Men, and, with them, Storm herself. To understand why I think Beyoncé's involvement in The Lion King could lead to her presence within the Marvel Universe, though, let us take a moment to observe the career of Lupita Nyong'o under Disney.

Walt Disney Pictures is, like many studios, notoriously 'in-house', meaning it works closely with specific creators and actors in order to build a working relationship. It's the reason Lin Manuel Miranda has gone from song-writing in Moana to starring in next year's Mary Poppins Returns, and it's why Lupita Nyong'o has appeared in Star Wars, Queen of Katwe, The Jungle Book, and Black Panther. Nyong'o's involvement in The Jungle Book, where she voiced and provided motion capture for a wild animal, led to her involvement in Black Panther where she plays King T'Challa's love interest in February next year.



If her performance in The Lion King is up to scratch, I strongly believe that Beyoncé would at least be shortlisted for the role of Storm in a similar way to Nyong'o's hollywood trajectory. The character is too valuable not to be used, and such a high profile cast member could bring much needed star power to a franchise whose biggest stars will soon be Sebastian Stan and Tom Holland after Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. inevitably leave the franchise (their contracts expire after Avengers Infinity War next year).

While I myself am not sure how a Beyoncé portrayed Storm could work in the established Marvel Universe, it isn't exactly hard to imagine her as a superhero given some of her recent live televised performances, and for those who remember the hysterical Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) scene in Doctor Strange last year, its obvious that the star already has some sort of bond with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Besides, after all the headlines broke in 2015 regarding Marvel's interest in casting Beyoncé, it's obvious people there want her! Mark my words, this entire theory could ring 100% true in the years to come...


@ravieb

What do you think though? Do you think Storm should become an Avenger in the Disney Marvel universe? Or are there other X-Men you'd like to see introduced first? If you don't think Beyoncé is a good fit for the role, who would you like to see don the white wig? Let me know in the comments below, and stay tuned to JG Review for more film-focused content!


Written by James Green

8 comments:

  1. Love Bey but helllllllllll no I wish someone would cast storm as she was actually created. Not just some light skinned beauty queen who gets beat up most the movie. Storm is an African queen who controls the elements she’s strong and that’s half the beauty of her HER STRENGTH. Find someone similar to a young grace jones ..... please !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to share my experience with the entire world on how I got my husband back and saved my marriage… I was married for 5 years with 2 kids and I have been living happily with my family until things started getting ugly with me and my husband that leads us to fights and arguments almost every time… it got worse at a point that my husband filed for divorce… I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me cause i loved him with all my heart and didn't want to lose my husband but everything just didn't work out… He moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce… I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster called Dr Oniha, Who eventually helped me out… I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try it because I was desperate and left with no choice… He did the spell for me and things really worked out as he promised and my husband had a change of mind and came back home to stay with me and the kids. And promise never to hurt me again. We are living happily as it was with the help of Dr Oniha. If you are in need of help you can contact Dr Oniha.
    Email :onihaspelltemple@gmail. com
    Website: http://onihaspells.com
    Call/Whatsapp:+1669223962 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to share my experience with the entire world on how I got my husband back and saved my marriage… I was married for 5 years with 2 kids and I have been living happily with my family until things started getting ugly with me and my husband that leads us to fights and arguments almost every time… it got worse at a point that my husband filed for divorce… I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me cause i loved him with all my heart and didn't want to lose my husband but everything just didn't work out… He moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce… I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster called Dr Oniha, Who eventually helped me out… I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try it because I was desperate and left with no choice… He did the spell for me and things really worked out as he promised and my husband had a change of mind and came back home to stay with me and the kids. And promise never to hurt me again. We are living happily as it was with the help of Dr Oniha. If you are in need of help you can contact Dr Oniha.
    Email :onihaspelltemple@gmail. com
    Website: http://onihaspells.com
    Call/Whatsapp:+1669223962 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello every one my I want to use this medium to appreciate Dr obodubu monday a great spell caster for helping me retrieving back my relationship with my ex lover when he ended and turned back on me for quite a long time now (6 months ago) He performed a spell for me and within 48 hours after the spell had been cast I receive a text from my ex saying that he is sorry for the pains and tears that he had caused me and that he will not do such thing to me again in his life. I was surprised but later accepted him back again. Anyone that is in the same line of problem or different one that want to contact a spell caster should happily contact Dr obodubu monday now on this email address:babadoctorobodubuspiritualhome@gmail.com or you can contact him through his whatsapp line +2349058774809

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT Dr Kabaka THAT HELP ME SAVE MY RELATIONSHI PROBLEMS ... Good Day everybody, My name is Nancy am from Australia This is a very happy day of my life with the help of Dr Kabaka has rendered to me by helping me to get my husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Kabaka email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good. he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before,and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you Dr Kabaka i will forever be grateful to you if you need his help you can contact him through his email address; drkabakaspiritualtemple@gmail.com
    OR call his whatsapp number on +2349015857861

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstances. I give God all the glory for bringing Lord Zakuza into my life for helping me get my wife back that got me divorced for one year. I was the last person on earth to accept the fact that spells exist or work not until I was referred to Lord Zakuza online to who has helped so many people with his powerful spells. I had no other option than to give it a try because 3 months after the divorce, I was demoted at my place of work due to depression for I don't know what to do to get her back but thank God today for using Lord Zakuza to get my happiness and love life back within 48 hours. Just last week here, I was promoted back to my position and I'm here to share my own experience with this man called Lord Zakuza. I don't know what you are going through today but know that in all situation there's always a way out. Lord Zakuza also prepares spells like Lottery spell, job spell, spell to stop a divorce, spell cure for any diseases, protection spell, spell to become successful and wealthy E.T.C. Contact him now for any help via TEXT OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER with: +1 740-573-9483 and Email on: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored. My ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. I was so happy to meet Dr. OKu how he helps many people to bring their Lover back so i contact him to help me too. husbandThat was how Dr. Oku helped me to bring my  back.. A big thank you to Dr. Oku because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. If you are here and you need your Ex Let you in over back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:Email him at: okutemple@gmail.com You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2348163425519

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article outlines research projects educators can use to move beyond cliched activities such as watching MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech. These projects will help students make connections between Black history and contemporary Black culture. hire Black Panther

    ReplyDelete