Monday 12 August 2013

Paper Mario: Sticker Star Review

Is this game a sticking success or an epic fail?

The hype of Sticker Star created by Nintendo was huge, and with the amount of coverage and footage floating about you surely expect a good game, but alas, it does not impress...

The artwork is more impressive than the game.

Personally this is my first Paper Mario game ever, and I'm sad to say it's quite an underwhelming experience. The graphics are great, pushing the 3DS to its full extent. But other than that I'm not sure It's worth the full price of £35 british pounds.

The story plot isn't brilliant, and mostly predictable. It felt inconsistent in my opinion and it didn't flow as well as I wanted it to. Searching for a bunch of the "Royal Stickers" wasn't exciting enough and it jumped from one place to another. 

Not only that but the battle system was certainly not a personal preference either. I had a lot of issues with running out of stickers or having no good stickers left.
 
This battle system was the end of me.

I definitely didn't enjoy the real life object stickers - use it once and bam, its gone. They could have at least made it usable at least more than 2 times as they are surprisingly rare to find. It was dull to have to travel to find the real world objects, then take them back to throw 'em at a wall and then finally get the stickers, only to use them up in the first go!

The overworld wasn't brilliant either, it felt too much like a New Super Mario Bros. game. (The sprawling worlds of Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door were amazing! - Editor) I was hoping for a complete flat overworld to explore, so I was quite disappointed as I prefer vast overworlds unless it is meant to be a proper platforming game.

As you can probably tell, I really didn't like the game at all. This really isn't a must buy game. Only pick it up if it's on a major discount, otherwise, I'd pass.

5 . 5                                                                                                           Reviewed by Christopher Nguyen
OUT  OF  TEN                                                                                                                            Edited by James Green      

No comments:

Post a Comment