Wednesday 13 March 2019

'Captain Marvel' Film Review

I need a hero... This review contains mild spoilers


Captain Marvel has a lot of pressure on its shoulders. For one, the movie has to lead into Avengers: Endgame, the second-half of the Infinity War saga which began last year. The film also has to introduce audiences the character of Captain Marvel; they must make her likeable enough for movie-goers to happily accept her as a replacement for Iron Man, Thor or Captain America as the Avengers franchise continues. As if this wasn't burden enough, Captain Marvel has the added pressure of being Marvel's first female led superhero film since the studio formed 10 years ago.


It's immediately clear, then, that this film won't be judged on its own merits. This is obviously a shame because if Captain Marvel had no ties to any existing franchise then it would work very, very well. It almost does so; the film’s setting within the 1990’s isolates it from the current Marvel narrative and gives our new hero the space to learn and grow. A lot of this film’s problems, though, occur when you contextualise both it and its hero within the extended ‘Marvel Cinematic Universe’. 

Let’s use the character of Nick Fury as an example, who is here once again played by Samuel L. Jackson. Fury, who first appeared in 2008’s Iron Man, is a legend within the established Marvel canon and the reveal of his damaged eye in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was one of his most iconic moments. The mystery surrounding how his eye was injured added a level of authority and mystique to his character, and when audiences learnt he would be appearing in Captain Marvel with both eyes intact many wondered if we would finally see what happened.

Imagine how ridiculous it seems, then, when audiences learn that Fury didn’t damage his eye in a deadly battle or a spy shoot-out, but that he lost his vision because of a cat scratch. Within the narrative of Captain Marvel it makes perfect sense that Fury's playful relationship with Goose, a deadly alien cat, would result in injury; their playful relationship within the film offers one of Captain Marvel’s highlights. Contextualising this scenario within the wider Marvel landscape is frustrating, though, and reducing Nick Fury’s mystique to a cat scratch now directly impacts repeat viewings of past Marvel films. 


A similar issue arises from the established extent of Danvers' powers. Within the context of this single film it truly doesn't matter how powerful Carol Danvers is, but when you eventually position this character (who can destroy a fleet of aircraft with a single punch) alongside the likes of Black Widow, Hawkeye and Falcon we seem to have a problem. I’m excited to see Danvers join the Avengers in Endgame, but her immense powers not only reduce the stakes of any scene she’s in but render her teammates useless by comparison.

As this film reaches its third act and Danvers realises how to fully utilize the extent of her powers the stakes are similarly lowered. Superman, as my friend reminded me while leaving the cinema, has his Kryptonite, and while Kryptonite is a dumb weakness it’s a blessing that the character has one – he’d simply be unstoppable otherwise. Danvers, though, doesn’t have a Kryptonite. The character actually has no weaknesses at all, thus destroying any hint of dramatic tension left within the film. Sure, there’s something pretty punk about making your first female lead so overpowered – especially in the time of Trump’s America – but it’s having to fit this character within the wider Marvel world which once again causes concern. Beginning to sense a theme here?

Brie Larson makes the most of the bare-bone script and shines as Carol Danvers, proving once more that her Oscar was well deserved. The character is spunky, energetic and nuanced in a way I didn't expect her to be - only Chris Evans' Captain America has quite come close to the gravitas Larson brings to the table. I'm excited to see how her character develops through the multiple films in which she'll undoubtedly star.

It took the characters of Steve Rogers and Thor multiple films for the writers to fully understand their characters, but they now stand as some of the most charismatic heroes that Marvel has to offer. Danvers' exciting appearance in the Captain Marvel end-credits scene (which itself is a scene from the upcoming Avengers: Endgame) suggests we will get to see a more confident, assured and fleshed out version of the character next year, so it’s likely this character will follow a similar trajectory.


Annette Benning was admittedly underused despite playing two different roles. It seems possible she’ll make a comeback down the line, however – playing the interface of a Kree supercomputer surely opens the door for a possible return. Considering Captain Marvel will likely follow the Kree-Skrull war, I’m sure we haven't seen the last of Benning.

Jude Law did the best with the script he was given but his role as Carol's mentor ultimately fell flat. It was clear that he, along with Lashana Lynch’s Maria Rambeau, was meant to offer an emotional anchor to Danvers’ split identity – Lynch symbolising Carols past on Earth and Law symbolising her life off of it. The script, however, didn’t put in any work to make us actually care for their relationship, ultimately rendering Law’s character underwhelming and irrelevant. We never gain the sense that Carol is truly pained at having to let go of her Kree past.

Lynch, though, shines in her role as Maria and I wish more screen time had been devoted to the flashbacks in which she and Carol were close friends. I’m also excited to see which route Captain Marvel’s sequels will take – Maria’s daughter Monica (here played by Akira Akbar) eventually grows up to become the superhero Photon in the comics, and it’s exciting to see Marvel introduce another black female superhero.

This film leads right into Avengers: Endgameyou're going to see it regardless of reviews, but Captain Marvel is exceedingly pleasant and offers just what you'd want from a middle-of-the-road Marvel movie. It's even, at times, quite special. While some of the song choices felt forced and distracting (No Doubt's 'Just a Girl' was particularly on the nose), Marvel is clearly heading in the right direction with this new franchise and Larson makes the most of an average script gaining tonnes of fans in the process. 

★★★✩✩  

Written by James Green

7 comments:

  1. EFFECTIVE AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER AND LOTTERY SPELL 2019 GBOJIESPIRITUALTEMPLE@GMAIL. COM OR WHATSAPP HIM :+2349066410185

    Hi i am from USA I have just experience the wonders of Dr. gbojie love spell, that have been spread on the internet and worldwide, How he marvelously helped people all over the world to restored back their marriage life and get back lost lovers, and also help to win lottery. I contacted him after going through so many testimonies from different people how he help to bring back ex lover back, i told him about my husband that abandoned me about 8 months ago, and left home with all i had.. Dr GBOJIE only told me to smile and have a rest of mind he will handle all in just 24 hours, After the second day my husband called me, i was just so shocked, i pick the call and couldn't believe my ears, he was really begging me to forgive him and making promises on phone.. He came back home and also got me a new car just for him to proof his love for me. i was so happy and called Dr Gbojie and thanked him, he only told me to share the good news all over the world .. Well if you need an effective and real spell caster contact Dr gbojie Via email: gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com, gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com or Call or WhatsApp: +2349066410185 website : http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me/
    blog : https://unitedinloveandrelationship.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to share my experience with the entire world on how I got my husband back and saved my marriage… I was married for 5 years with 2 kids and I have been living happily with my family until things started getting ugly with me and my husband that leads us to fights and arguments almost every time… it got worse at a point that my husband filed for divorce… I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me cause i loved him with all my heart and didn't want to lose my husband but everything just didn't work out… He moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce… I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster called Dr Oniha, Who eventually helped me out… I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try it because I was desperate and left with no choice… He did the spell for me and things really worked out as he promised and my husband had a change of mind and came back home to stay with me and the kids. And promise never to hurt me again. We are living happily as it was with the help of Dr Oniha. If you are in need of help you can contact Dr Oniha.
    Email :onihaspelltemple@gmail. com
    Website: http://onihaspells.com
    Call/Whatsapp:+1669223962 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call Dr. Dr bante for urgent and fast love spell +2349063962262 or email him bantespelltemple@gmail.com

    I lost my husband to another woman,after 4 years of marriage . We had a lovely marriage but he started a relationship with a co worker who chased after him . He is living away near his work and he refused to talk to me or to come home . I was so devastated and found it hard to cope. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a comment by Amber that suggested that Dr bante helped her solve her marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. 2 days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr bante. If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you. His email bantespelltemple@gmail.com And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349063962262Thanks Dr. bante

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello every one my I want to use this medium to appreciate Dr obodubu monday a great spell caster for helping me retrieving back my relationship with my ex lover when he ended and turned back on me for quite a long time now (6 months ago) He performed a spell for me and within 48 hours after the spell had been cast I receive a text from my ex saying that he is sorry for the pains and tears that he had caused me and that he will not do such thing to me again in his life. I was surprised but later accepted him back again. Anyone that is in the same line of problem or different one that want to contact a spell caster should happily contact Dr obodubu monday now on this email address:babadoctorobodubuspiritualhome@gmail.com or you can contact him through his whatsapp line +2349058774809

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE SPELLS THAT WORKS PERFECTLY AND REMAINS PERMANENT FOREVER, CHECK OUT DR ISIKOLO (https://isikololovetemple.com) 
    I am sharing this testimony to partners suffering in their relationships because there is an enduring solution. My husband left me and our 2 kids for another woman for 2 years. I tried to be strong just for my kids but I could not control the pains that tormented my heart. I was hurt and confused. I needed a help, so i did a research on the internet and came across a site where I saw that DR ISIKOLO a spell caster, can help get lovers back. I contacted him and he did a special prayer and spells for me. To my surprises, after 2 days, my husband came back home. That was how we reunited again and there was a lot of love, joy and peace in the family. You can as well contact DR ISIKOLO , a powerful spell-caster for solutions on his contact isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also Whatsapp him on +2348133261196.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAVE YOU BEEN IN SEARCH FOR GENUINE HACKER'S ONLINE?. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MONEY TO BINARY OPTION SCAM OR ANY ONLINE SCAM WHATSOEVER?. WELL, YOU HAVE FOUND REDEMPTION IN ASORE CORP.
    asorehackcorp@gmail.com

    Asore Corp is a group of multinational Hacker's, an affiliate of Evil Corp. We make sure by all means necessary that our clients get the best of services on a🔐PAYMENT AFTER JOB IS DONE BASIS✅. Rather than send money and trust a criminal to fulfill your deal, you can make sure the job is done before WORKMANSHIP is paid for. You'll get excellent customer service.
    That's a 100% guarantee. Our Cyber security Technicians are on standby 24/7 to receive your job requests.

    ⚠️ BEWARE OF FRAUDSTARS
    if you have been a VICTIM, contact : ✉️cyberprecinct@gmail.com for directives.
    Here, it's always a win for you.

    🔸OUR SERVICES🔸
    ➡️Binary Option funds recovery
    ➡️Social media hack
    ➡️Recovery of loan scam
    ➡️Credit repair (Equifax,Experian,Transunion)
    ➡️E mail hack
    ➡️College score upgrade
    ➡️Android & iPhone Hack
    ➡️Website design
    ➡️Website hack
    And lots more.

    DISCLAIMER: Asore Cyber Corp accepts no responsibility for any information,previously given to anybody by clients on as regarding the job. Asore Cyber Corp will not distribute contact information collected on any hacking job other than in the Asore corps Hacker's listings themselves, and will not sell contact information to third parties.

    CONTACT INFO:
    📧 asorehackcorp@gmail.com
    cyberprecinct@gmail.com

    Copyright ©️
    Asore Cyber Corp 2021.
    All rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete