Friday 29 March 2019

'Tucked' Film Review | BFI Flare Festival 2019

This drag race is a marathon, not a sprint.


Tucked, along with the queens in which it presents, exists as an anomaly in the wider drag landscape. Drag recently hit the mainstream thanks to the popularity of RuPaul's Drag Race, but that show prioritizes a very specific type of drag. Because of this, 'drag' as pop culture seemingly focuses on uplifting skinny, white performers while disregarding their equally talented counterparts. It's about time, then, that both old and black queens got the chance to step into the spotlight; Tucked offers this opportunity to both.

The story follows Jackie, a 70 year old, straight drag queen who maintains a rigorous performing schedule in light of her diagnosis with terminal cancer. Helping her process the news and with ticking off her bucket list is Faith, a gender-fluid 21 year old that ends up looking to Jackie as a father figure in light of their own family's queer-phobia.

Granted, Tucked sounds rough to watch, but director Jamie Patterson infuses the dark story with moments of such delightful comedy that it's impossible not to enjoy the ride. The line between drama and comedy is infamously hard to walk though; the tone of the film is uneven at times and switches from light-hearted to gut-wrenching in a way that isn't completely smooth. The result of this is a film which, despite curating genuine emotion within its audience, fails to form a cohesive tone.



One other issue I had with the film - although this one minor - regards the films soundtrack. The soundtrack itself (written by Sam Beveridge) was stunningly produced and added both emotion and depth to the film as a whole. The problem lies with its implementation which wasn't at all subtle and the movie did at times feel more like an emotive music video than a feature film. 

Despite these two complaints, Tucked has the potential to become a genuine cult classic within the queer community and it's overall message of self-reflection, defiance and resilience is legitimately needed - I mean, just last week the BBC's Question Time asked whether it's "moral" just to tell children queer people exist.

Patterson actually acknowledges the current queer-phobia that dominates LGBTQ+ discourse at several moments within the film. Scenes like that can very easily feel forced or preachy but Tucked expertly integrated these messages of acceptance and warmth into the story as a whole. In short, the politics at play serve the characters as much as they do a wider social movement. 

Sure, Tucked sometimes feels a bit uneven, but the film overall allowed for a tender movie-going experience that proudly stands by its underrepresented protagonists. Its not a knee slapper, but it's mixture of comedy and melancholy would certainly make for a lovely rainy day viewing. 


★★★★✩

Written by James Green

4 comments:

  1. EFFECTIVE AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER AND LOTTERY SPELL 2019 GBOJIESPIRITUALTEMPLE@GMAIL. COM OR WHATSAPP HIM :+2349066410185

    Hi i am from USA I have just experience the wonders of Dr. gbojie love spell, that have been spread on the internet and worldwide, How he marvelously helped people all over the world to restored back their marriage life and get back lost lovers, and also help to win lottery. I contacted him after going through so many testimonies from different people how he help to bring back ex lover back, i told him about my husband that abandoned me about 8 months ago, and left home with all i had.. Dr GBOJIE only told me to smile and have a rest of mind he will handle all in just 24 hours, After the second day my husband called me, i was just so shocked, i pick the call and couldn't believe my ears, he was really begging me to forgive him and making promises on phone.. He came back home and also got me a new car just for him to proof his love for me. i was so happy and called Dr Gbojie and thanked him, he only told me to share the good news all over the world .. Well if you need an effective and real spell caster contact Dr gbojie Via email: gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com, gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com or Call or WhatsApp: +2349066410185 website : http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me/
    blog : https://unitedinloveandrelationship.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello every one my I want to use this medium to appreciate Dr obodubu monday a great spell caster for helping me retrieving back my relationship with my ex lover when he ended and turned back on me for quite a long time now (6 months ago) He performed a spell for me and within 48 hours after the spell had been cast I receive a text from my ex saying that he is sorry for the pains and tears that he had caused me and that he will not do such thing to me again in his life. I was surprised but later accepted him back again. Anyone that is in the same line of problem or different one that want to contact a spell caster should happily contact Dr obodubu monday now on this email address:babadoctorobodubuspiritualhome@gmail.com or you can contact him through his whatsapp line +2349058774809

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello every one my I want to use this medium to appreciate Dr obodubu monday a great spell caster for helping me retrieving back my relationship with my ex lover when he ended and turned back on me for quite a long time now (6 months ago) He performed a spell for me and within 48 hours after the spell had been cast I receive a text from my ex saying that he is sorry for the pains and tears that he had caused me and that he will not do such thing to me again in his life. I was surprised but later accepted him back again. Anyone that is in the same line of problem or different one that want to contact a spell caster should happily contact Dr obodubu monday now on this email address:babadoctorobodubuspiritualhome@gmail.com or you can contact him through his whatsapp line +2349058774809

    ReplyDelete
  4. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete